- 2019 Faces: Solo exhibition, Plaxall Gallery, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 Off the wall, Plaxall Gallery, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 Painting in the 21st Century, Site:Brooklyn Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- 2018 Falling Forward, The Factory, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 Allow me to Reintroduce Myself, Cigar Factory, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 Yours, And Always Only Yours, Plaxall Gallery, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 Winner LIC-A Postcard Show, Plaxall Gallery, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 LIC Arts Open Members Show, Plaxall Gallery, Long Island City, NY
- 2018 Escape Velocity, Plaxall Gallery, Long Island City, NY
- 2017 Single Fare 4, Highline Stages, New York, NY
I am a native of New Jersey, the son of special education teachers. At the age of 12, I began taking weekend lessons at a comic book drawing school in New Jersey and under the encouragement of my parents, I would spend my teenage years traveling to drawing and painting workshops in the New York Metro area. After two years at Sullivan County Community College art program and the unfortunate lost of my parents, I went to work for local advertising agencies to support myself. While my career progressed as a digital artist and multi-media programmer, drawing continued to be my passion and something that occupied a lot of my free time. In 2000, I moved to the Lower East Side of Manhattan and took painting classes at the Education Alliance taught by Paul Lucchesi. Next, I learned the Frank Reilly method of painting at the Art Students League under the tutelage of Jack Faragasso. At the Grand Central Academy Atelier, I learned the art of portraiture from Scott Waddell and Joshua LaRock. Currently, I find meetups and workshops in New York to work on my craft and pursue my passion for painting and drawing.
I work in oils on canvas and charcoals in a representational style, although I do not try for a photo-realistic effect. I strive to create an image that grabs the viewer as a painting but clearly represents the subject and conveys a greater message that is seen from below the surface.
Contact me michael.j.connors at gmail.com